Thursday 17 April 2014

Coming to the Table

Psalm 116:12-19

12What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me?
13I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,
14I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people.
15Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.
16O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, 
the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds.
17I will offer to you a thanksgiving sacrifice and call on the name of the Lord.
18I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people,
19in the courts of the house of the Lord, in your midst, O Jerusalem. 
Praise the Lord!

Reflection
Photo Creative Commons Licence. by Ian Britton

There can be little doubt
That what we do this night
Bears little resemblance
To the meal Jesus shared with his disciples
It is not a Passover meal
And is not meant to be

Where we sit at a table
They probably lay on the floor

Where we meet in a public place of worship
They probably met in someone’s home

Where we live in a time of perceived peace in this country
They were living as a conquered people

Where what we are doing lies at the centre of our faith
They were being introduced to new rituals

Yet here tonight in this place
As poor as the resemblance may be
We do as Jesus commanded his followers to do

We lift a cup in thanksgiving
And remember Jesus by eating the bread

It is a reflection of an ancient ritual
That we do not fully comprehend

Just as the High Priest offered portions
Of the lamb that had been sacrificed to the people
So Jesus offers himself to us

So come to the Table with hearts held high
Gather around for it is Jesus who invites you here

The Peace of the Lord be with you all
And also with you

As you gather around the table

I invite you to share the peace

No comments:

Post a Comment